Tuesday, March 2, 2010

How to Protect Your Computer From Malware

In addition to virus protection, it's important to protect your computer from Spyware, Adware, and Malware.  Some "internet security" and Antivirus software will protect you against some of the additional threats, but they may not catch them all.

For years I ran Stopzilla and  Lavasoft's Ad-aware on my personal computer from spyware and adware.  But since discovering, Malwarebytes Anti-malware, I now favor this program. I've written several posts about the biggest Malware threat (Windows Antivirus) nfecting many of my client's computers, and Malwarebytes Anti-malware is the ONLY program out there that's been able to completely remove it in most cases.  For that reason alone, I've become a HUGE fan of Malwarebytes.

Malwarebytes makes a free and paid version of their Anti-malware program.  I've been using the free version, which is fine for me, but it's takes some discipline on my part.  The biggest difference between the paid and free version is automation.  With the free version of Antimalware, I have to remember to update the software and run the scans myself.  The paid version will automate updates and scanning for you.  If you're one of those people who doesn't want to be bothered with managing the software yourself, then I'd highly recommend getting the paid version.

Regardless of which version you use of Malwarebytes Antimalware (paid or free), I highly recommend downloading and installing it on your computer.  And of course, don't forget to use it!  This is one program you really want to have on your computer BEFORE some of these problems find their way onto your computer because some malware programs will prevent you from installing it after they infect your computer.

Between Norton Internet Security and Malwarebytes Antimalware, my computer stays really clean of viruses, malware, spyware and adware.

To download and install Malwarebytes Antimalware, click here.

Symantec's Norton Internet Security 2010

1 comment:

  1. My computer has been infected with a malware before and my files were corrupted. I had to take it to a IT solutions Boston company to have it fixed. Their Boston IT consultants were able to fix it. I'll have that program in my pc, too, to prevent malwares from destroying my files again. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete